Wednesday was the day Marina had been waiting for – shopping day – an opportunity to spend her precious 50 pounds. Lenny had a business meeting, so we gals used this time to hit a few of the shops. The first two were from our guidebook, and neither existed any more. Not a good start!
Then we stopped in Bennetton’s and H&Ms, near Harrod’s, where Marina enjoyed browsing. She wanted to go to Burberry’s (which has done an amazing job of migrating from a stodgy plaid brand to something quite a bit more chic … Marina was convinced that it was a new company) where I decided to take a photo rather than buy something since I had nothing left to bring to the pawn shop.

Finally, we went to Top Shop at Oxford Circus thanks to the recommendation of Michal and Hannah (Mandy and David’s daughters). I thought this was a great store … a department store of reasonably priced, fashionable goods, of nice quality (when I see reasonably priced, I mean like Macy’s, not Target!). Marina found a jacket there that she loved for exactly 50 pounds. Whew – shopping over.

After a quick stop at Harrod’s food court to pick up dinner for tonight, we met Lenny back at the apartment. The afternoon activity was to go to the Victoria and Albert Museum, which is walking distance from our flat.
We found one most-amazing object on display, which I will tell you about shortly. Please use this time to guess what it might be (without looking ahead!). Write your answer down now – or better yet, put it in the comments!! What amazing object did Marina find at the V&A Museum?? Or put your answer here:
“_________________ was found at the V&A Museum.”
I quickly started thinking of the V&A as the Stuff Museum. Or, perhaps you could think of it as London’s attic. It has a little bit of everything, from the largest Chihuly glass piece I’ve ever seen in the entry, to shower curtains, to a plaster cast of Trajan’s column. Marina particularly liked the fashion display which was equally eclectic, from track suits to magnificent wedding gowns to Lady Di’s seed pearl dress.

Have you guessed what the special object is yet?
Before I tell you, I’ll also mention that we stopped for tea in the ornate museum café. We figured that we needed to have “tea time” at least once on our trip. They had a wonderful selection of loose tea that they put into long cloth bags for steeping.

Okay – here is the answer as to the most-amazing object. Marina found an orange Handspring Visor on display at the V&A!! Yes folks, there wasn’t a PalmPilot, a Treo, a Blackberry, or – heaven forbid – an iPhone. There was a Handspring Visor. (I guess they didn’t know orange was the least popular color … or perhaps that’s why the London office donated it …. David???).

Did you guess right?
After dinner at the flat, we went to see the Mousetrap. I think this is a great must-see once in your lifetime. Since the theatre was half empty, I suggest you do it soon. The show has been playing for 56 years, but I don’t think it will play for 56 more if that’s the crowds it gets. Note to all our British friends reading this blog, apparently none of whom have ever seen this show: plan your visit now!

I won’t spoil the answer to the mystery, but I’ll just say that there was good suspense and a few jump-out-of-your-seat moments. And you will never hear the tune “Three Blind Mice” the same again.
-- Donna
Then we stopped in Bennetton’s and H&Ms, near Harrod’s, where Marina enjoyed browsing. She wanted to go to Burberry’s (which has done an amazing job of migrating from a stodgy plaid brand to something quite a bit more chic … Marina was convinced that it was a new company) where I decided to take a photo rather than buy something since I had nothing left to bring to the pawn shop.
Finally, we went to Top Shop at Oxford Circus thanks to the recommendation of Michal and Hannah (Mandy and David’s daughters). I thought this was a great store … a department store of reasonably priced, fashionable goods, of nice quality (when I see reasonably priced, I mean like Macy’s, not Target!). Marina found a jacket there that she loved for exactly 50 pounds. Whew – shopping over.

After a quick stop at Harrod’s food court to pick up dinner for tonight, we met Lenny back at the apartment. The afternoon activity was to go to the Victoria and Albert Museum, which is walking distance from our flat.
We found one most-amazing object on display, which I will tell you about shortly. Please use this time to guess what it might be (without looking ahead!). Write your answer down now – or better yet, put it in the comments!! What amazing object did Marina find at the V&A Museum?? Or put your answer here:
“_________________ was found at the V&A Museum.”
I quickly started thinking of the V&A as the Stuff Museum. Or, perhaps you could think of it as London’s attic. It has a little bit of everything, from the largest Chihuly glass piece I’ve ever seen in the entry, to shower curtains, to a plaster cast of Trajan’s column. Marina particularly liked the fashion display which was equally eclectic, from track suits to magnificent wedding gowns to Lady Di’s seed pearl dress.

Have you guessed what the special object is yet?
Before I tell you, I’ll also mention that we stopped for tea in the ornate museum café. We figured that we needed to have “tea time” at least once on our trip. They had a wonderful selection of loose tea that they put into long cloth bags for steeping.

Okay – here is the answer as to the most-amazing object. Marina found an orange Handspring Visor on display at the V&A!! Yes folks, there wasn’t a PalmPilot, a Treo, a Blackberry, or – heaven forbid – an iPhone. There was a Handspring Visor. (I guess they didn’t know orange was the least popular color … or perhaps that’s why the London office donated it …. David???).

Did you guess right?After dinner at the flat, we went to see the Mousetrap. I think this is a great must-see once in your lifetime. Since the theatre was half empty, I suggest you do it soon. The show has been playing for 56 years, but I don’t think it will play for 56 more if that’s the crowds it gets. Note to all our British friends reading this blog, apparently none of whom have ever seen this show: plan your visit now!
I won’t spoil the answer to the mystery, but I’ll just say that there was good suspense and a few jump-out-of-your-seat moments. And you will never hear the tune “Three Blind Mice” the same again.
-- Donna
No comments:
Post a Comment